About Me

My photo
Clarksville, Tennessee, United States
I have been an Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian for a few years and am considering making the switch to a full Vegan diet. I decided to become a vegetarian because I could no longer disassociate the meat on my plate from the loving, kind and peaceful animal it had once been. I have always been an animal lover, so I guess this was a natural progression. I am not a diet or nutrition expert by any means, I am just a woman on a mission to eat better, feel better and live better.

Friday, November 30, 2012

Oh Boy!

So, I visited a few websites today looking for ingredients that contain animal by-products, and let me tell you - there are a LOT of them.  Some of them I was aware of, but there are many that I was not.  Such as Casein.  This is the description from the PETA website:  

Casein.  Caseinate.  Sodium Caseinate.
Milk protein.  In "nondairy" creamers, soy cheese, many cosmetics, hair preparations, beauty masks.  Alternatives:  soy protein, soy milk, and other vegetable milks.

SOY cheese?  I didn't even think to check the ingredients in soy cheese to see if they contained an animal by-product!  I mean, after all, if you're going to make something nondairy, why would you still put a milk protein it?!?

Needless to say, I have a LOT of research to do.  I am aware of certain things Vegans do not eat or use, such as honey and bees wax, silk and cashmere, but there are a whole lot of them that I wasn't.  This may be a little harder than I anticipated to learn and incorporate one thing into my new lifestyle each week, but I am committed.  I will continue to read up on it, do some research, and share what I find with you.

We can do this.  Especially if we're doing it together.  It may take some time but like I've said before, this isn't a contest so we can take our time.  Which is good, because there is a LOT to learn.  


No comments:

Post a Comment