About Me

My photo
Clarksville, Tennessee, United States
I have been an Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian for a few years and am considering making the switch to a full Vegan diet. I decided to become a vegetarian because I could no longer disassociate the meat on my plate from the loving, kind and peaceful animal it had once been. I have always been an animal lover, so I guess this was a natural progression. I am not a diet or nutrition expert by any means, I am just a woman on a mission to eat better, feel better and live better.

Monday, December 3, 2012

Chilly Chili Weather

I had a nice, relaxing weekend, and I hope all of you did, too.  The weather here in NYC has changed again and it's going to be in the 60's today and tomorrow, and while I'm not complaining, I like the chilly weather for cooking up the warm, hearty, stick-to-your-ribs kinds of soups, stews and chili.  I don't consider temps in the 60's to be "chili" weather, but I'm making chili for dinner tonight either way.  I just love it when it's cold outside and I'm all warm and toasty inside, curling up with a hot, steaming bowl of deliciousness.  There's just something about it that makes it just a little more comforting, don't you think?



So chili tonight it is.  I can't wait!  I've been wanting to make this for several days, but the meal planning and timing just hadn't worked out until now.  I've got my ingredients ready to go, and am anticipating the arrival of about 4:30 this afternoon so I can begin to cook!  You may think I'm crazy, but I really do enjoy cooking that much!  I think I should have been a chef.  I've always wanted to own a small, cozy restaurant that serves really, really good food.  Maybe someday....I can dream, can't I?  


I am using an ingredient that I haven't used before.  Or should I say a brand I haven't used before.  I've used the veggie crumbles by Morningstar Farms, but I'm using the ones by Lightlife in my chili tonight.  It's not that I wasn't happy with the Morningstar Farms, I just want to try out all the different brands to see which ones I like the most.  I use other products by Lightlife and love them, such as their Smart Dogs and Smart Sausages, Smart Deli slices, Smart Bacon and Gimme Lean Sausage, so I am sure I will be happy with these as well.  

I don't usually make my vegetarian chili with the veggie crumbles because I'm completely happy with just the vegetables, but I am feeding this to my parents as well, so I want to give it the meaty texture they're used to.  I am determined to convert them to a no meat diet one of these days.  They absolutely LOVED the No Beef Stroganoff I made last week!  I thought my dad was going to lick the plate, he was loving it so much.  So if I can continue to make meatless meals for them like that, ones that they actually WANT me to make again, I think I would have a much better chance of convincing them to just skip the meat.  Baby steps.

I know the weather is turning colder (in most places in the US, anyway) and I'd love to hear about the yummy winter comfort foods you all are cooking and creating!  I hope you all have a wonderful beginning to your week, and enjoy the cooler days.   

No comments:

Post a Comment