About Me

My photo
Clarksville, Tennessee, United States
I have been an Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian for a few years and am considering making the switch to a full Vegan diet. I decided to become a vegetarian because I could no longer disassociate the meat on my plate from the loving, kind and peaceful animal it had once been. I have always been an animal lover, so I guess this was a natural progression. I am not a diet or nutrition expert by any means, I am just a woman on a mission to eat better, feel better and live better.

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Vegucating Family

Yesterday afternoon I was finally able to get my mom to watch the documentary "Vegucated", which in my opinion everyone should see.  She kept putting it off because she didn't want to see the parts that show how farm animals are treated.  I understand that it's hard to watch, I have to look away myself, but it's important to know what is happening because if we all turn a blind eye to these practices, nothing will ever change.  

Did you know that animal cruelty laws do not apply to farm animals?  That as long as a practice is considered "common" it's acceptable, regardless of how cruel or painful it is to the animal?  We need to make changes and that won't occur if we all pretend it's not happening.  I know people are going to continue to eat meat, and I'm not suggesting that we try to convert everyone to vegetarianism, I merely want to make sure that these animals are treated with the respect and care they deserve.  There is no reason their lives have to be lived out in horrible conditions and full of fear, anguish and pain. 

This is why I am really trying to become fully vegan.  I can't continue to eat any animal products because to do so, to hand my money over to those companies torturing these animals, is to say that what they do is acceptable. And it is NOT ACCEPTABLE.  As Paul McCartney once said, "If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be vegetarian".

My father won't watch the documentary because he says he doesn't want to change the way he eats.  I don't know if this means that he thinks I'm trying to "convert" him (which I'm clearly not, because I haven't done so for the past year and a half) or if he is saying that if he sees what is happening that his conscience would force him to make changes, and he's not ready for that.  Either way, I've tried to explain that whether people are going to eat meat or not, they should KNOW where their food is coming from and how it is treated/handled before it reaches their kitchens.

I hope all of you will watch "Vegucated".  It truly is an eye-opening documentary, and very educational.  And please don't think that the entire thing is about the animals.  That is only a portion of what is covered.  There is some very useful information regarding the health and environmental benefits of a vegetarian/vegan diet.  It's a very well done film, and it deserves to be seen.  You can get more information here:  http://www.getvegucated.com/.

So that's my soapbox rant for the day.  Next up - FOOD related post!  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment