About Me

My photo
Clarksville, Tennessee, United States
I have been an Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian for a few years and am considering making the switch to a full Vegan diet. I decided to become a vegetarian because I could no longer disassociate the meat on my plate from the loving, kind and peaceful animal it had once been. I have always been an animal lover, so I guess this was a natural progression. I am not a diet or nutrition expert by any means, I am just a woman on a mission to eat better, feel better and live better.

Monday, November 26, 2012

Noodles and Cabbage and Chili, Oh My!

Now that we are past the Thanksgiving holiday, I've been thinking of new and delicious recipes to try.  One of which was a crispy cabbage salad, with green and purple cabbage, onions, and carrots.  Now you may be thinking "cole slaw", but this is not made with a creamy dressing, this is tossed in an olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper dressing.  It keeps it very light and crispy, and it's really very delicious.  

You can adjust the amount of oil, vinegar and seasonings to your own taste, or add any additional that you like.  I made mine with 1/3 cup olive oil; 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar; 1 garlic clove, minced; salt and pepper, to taste; 1 carrot, shredded; 1/2 onion, sliced thin; and 1/2 small head of each cabbage, sliced thin.  I whisked the dressing together, then tossed the vegetables in the bowl, covered and refrigerated for about an hour.  Pretty tasty, if I do say so myself.  

And since the weather is turning colder now, I've really been wanting to make a nice big pot of vegan chili.  I'm also going to make a vegan 'no-beef' stroganoff, and some cheddar broccoli quinoa.  I'm going to make large amounts of both so that we can eat the left-overs during the week, too.  It's always nice when you can take a couple nights off during the week and not have to cook a meal.  

I do have to say, I'm really having fun seeing how many of my tried and true vegetarian recipes I can now adjust to vegan.   It's not as hard as I thought.  As I learn how to swap things out, which vegan items I need to use, and what brands I prefer, it becomes easier and easier to make the adjustments.  

I love to cook, and I love to experiment with new ingredients in the kitchen.  I will, however, try to keep my recipes very easy so that anyone can make them without difficulty.  If there is ever something that requires a little more detail, I will do my best to break it down for you.  And of course, you can always comment with any questions you may have.

Now, I'm going to go have some delicious cabbage salad and an open-faced tomato and vegan cheese sandwich.  I hope you have a great Monday and a relaxing beginning to your week!

No comments:

Post a Comment