About Me

My photo
Clarksville, Tennessee, United States
I have been an Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian for a few years and am considering making the switch to a full Vegan diet. I decided to become a vegetarian because I could no longer disassociate the meat on my plate from the loving, kind and peaceful animal it had once been. I have always been an animal lover, so I guess this was a natural progression. I am not a diet or nutrition expert by any means, I am just a woman on a mission to eat better, feel better and live better.

Friday, January 3, 2014

Tending My Garden

I don't really do the whole resolution thing.  It always seemed a little silly to me to set some goal to achieve within a 12 month period which is usually forgotten by February and becomes a part of some running joke.  No, I would rather just make a promise to myself because I'm good at keeping my promises.  

I think a lot of women, myself included, tend to feel guilty if we put ourselves first, to make sure we're well fed and well taken care of.  We tend to put the needs and wants of others before our own, especially those with children.  If you are a parent, I think that guilt must multiply ten-fold.  Particularly the guilt hurled at you from others if your child's needs, your partner's needs, the house's needs, your job's needs (if you work), etc. are not at the very top of your priority list.  Yourself as a priority should probably fall somewhere between re-organizing the linen closet and picking up a new book of stamps.

This isn't right and it needs to change.  If we're expected to constantly give our time, devotion, dedication and attention to others, shouldn't we be giving them all our BEST SELF?   Why is that such a taboo idea?  I would like to think that everyone is getting the best version of me, not some used up, depleted and completely worn-out version.  Is that who you want to cook your dinner, to take care of the kids, to write your report, to do the laundry?  Personally, I would prefer to have someone who's really bringing their A-game for all of those scenarios.  

Well guess what?  In order to do that, to be at 100%, in order to give my best, I have to BE at my best.   Which means....drumroll please....I have to make myself a priority, too.  

So,  I am going to do a little self-cultiavation (okay, maybe a LOT) and tend to my personal "garden".  No, not that one.  Keep it clean.  I'm talking about making sure I'm eating healthy, that I'm at a healthy and comfortable weight (feeling good, not a specific number on the scale), that I'm happy, and that I'm well-rested and peaceful.  I am making myself my priority.  Yup, I said it, right up there at the top of the list.  I know, it's risky, but I've got a little bit of a rebel hidden inside me so I think I'll give it a go.  And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the promise I am making to myself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment