About Me

My photo
Clarksville, Tennessee, United States
I have been an Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian for a few years and am considering making the switch to a full Vegan diet. I decided to become a vegetarian because I could no longer disassociate the meat on my plate from the loving, kind and peaceful animal it had once been. I have always been an animal lover, so I guess this was a natural progression. I am not a diet or nutrition expert by any means, I am just a woman on a mission to eat better, feel better and live better.

Friday, January 10, 2014

Kitchen Adventures

For Christmas I received a vegan cookbook I had really been wanting.  It is "The Mouthwatering Vegan" by Miriam Sorrell.  The recipes look delicious and the photos are simply divine.  So since I am going out to get groceries today, I think I will pick a recipe that I want to try and make sure I have everything I will need to make it.

I love trying new foods and new recipes.  When I make a recipe for the first time, I usually follow it to a "T" so that I can taste it just as the creator intended.  After that, when I'm making it again, I usually tweak a few things here and there to adjust it to my own taste and to make it my own.  Unless of course I fall in love with it just as it is. 

I don't usually cook from a recipe.  (Except when baking.  I am NOT a baker.)  My grandmother and mother didn't either.  So when I was learning how to cook growing up, I learned how to be creative, how to taste my food as I was cooking it and determine what it still needed.  There were no old, family recipes handed down to me.  I just learned by watching my mother cook and then trying to do it myself.  It taught me to be adventurous in the kitchen.  I don't have a fear of failing with it.  If it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out.  It's not a tragedy.  I just know not to do it that way again next time.  

How many of you browse through all the recipes on Pinterest?  A lot of you, right?  I know I can get stuck looking through posts on there for literally hours if I allow myself to.  But I like to try my hand at making dishes I see, whether it's online or on television.  I watch a lot of cooking competition shows, like Top Chef and Food Network Star, not just because I enjoy the shows themselves but because I watch what these chefs and cooks are doing.  What techniques do they use?  What ingredients do they choose?  I can't tell you how many little things I pick up from watching them.  And since becoming vegetarian, I love taking dishes with meat in them and figuring out how to recreate them without it and have them be just as pleasing and delicious.  I accept the challenge.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment