About Me

My photo
Clarksville, Tennessee, United States
I have been an Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian for a few years and am considering making the switch to a full Vegan diet. I decided to become a vegetarian because I could no longer disassociate the meat on my plate from the loving, kind and peaceful animal it had once been. I have always been an animal lover, so I guess this was a natural progression. I am not a diet or nutrition expert by any means, I am just a woman on a mission to eat better, feel better and live better.

Monday, January 6, 2014

BRRR!!! Oh Baby, It's COLD Outside!

Well, I woke up this morning to single digit temperatures and below zero wind-chills.  I thought Winter wouldn't be this cold when I moved from New York to Tennessee.  Figures, I move here and they have the coldest temperatures they've had in 2 decades.  Sheesh.  

So I was looking for a nice, belly-filling, soul-warming  and HEALTHY breakfast.  I decided on oatmeal.  Plain quick-oats made on the stove, with soy milk, cinnamon and currants.  It's really very delicious.  If I had thought ahead, I could have soaked some steel cut oats overnight for an even healthier breakfast, but I didn't.  Maybe I will do that for tomorrow morning. 

I think it's a little harder to eat healthier during the cold, Winter months because I always want the yummy comfort foods which are usually just a bit heavy on the fat and calories.  It's so much easier in the Summer when it's hot out and a nice cold, crisp salad and raw vegetables sound so perfectly delicious.  But when it's cold outside, darn it, I want warm food.  Which means I have to cook.  Which is fine, but involves a bit more.  I do like to make casseroles or big batches of soups and stews so that I can easily grab them from the fridge and heat them up for a quick meal.  

But I feel sometimes I miss the nutrition I get from the raw vegetables I get more of during the cooler months.  I will work on being more mindful of grabbing for them as quick, easy snacks throughout the day.  Then I can save the comfort foods for my meals.  Good thing I prepped a whole lot of celery and baby carrots yesterday.  If only I had some hummus.  ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment