About Me

My photo
Clarksville, Tennessee, United States
I have been an Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian for a few years and am considering making the switch to a full Vegan diet. I decided to become a vegetarian because I could no longer disassociate the meat on my plate from the loving, kind and peaceful animal it had once been. I have always been an animal lover, so I guess this was a natural progression. I am not a diet or nutrition expert by any means, I am just a woman on a mission to eat better, feel better and live better.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Chilly Chili Weather

Sorry this post comes so late.  Tuesday was a busy day and time just got away from me.  It's still cold across the nation, but temps are rising and people are beginning to venture back out into the world.  Even though it was sunny here today, I just couldn't stop thinking about a nice, hot, steaming bowl of chili.  So I looked through the pantry, fridge and cupboards to see what I had on hand, and as luck would have it, I had everything I needed to make it.

How do you all feel about the meat substitutes out there?  Do you like them?  I have to say, that I have been pretty satisfied with many of them.  I love the meatless veggie crumbles!  There are several brands that make them, but of those that I've tried I haven't had one that I didn't like.  I'm not one that really needs a meat replacement in everything, but it is nice when it's something like chili and you want that familiar texture.  Certain recipes just need it, especially comfort foods.  Don't get me wrong.  I've had and made some truly delicious chili's without the crumbles, and added all kinds of different ingredients, but somehow they're never quite as comforting to me as my mom's chili was when I was growing up.  But when I just replicate her recipe substituting the crumbles and veggie broth for the meat and water, it comes out just like I remember.

So I am curious what your thoughts are on the meat substitutes.  I know some people are fine with them and use them in certain recipes and there are others that would never, ever use them.  Leave a comment and let me know your take on them.

But for now, I am off and headed to bed.  There's a really good book waiting for me.  And an orange cat.

No comments:

Post a Comment